Last year we had Fancy as a first freshener (that’s what they call a first time goat mama, you gotta love goat terminology). Fancy was a bottle-fed baby herself, which is why I think she was totally confused about the whole mother thing. What the H-H-HELL are these creatures, she seemed to say, and W-W-WHY [...]
As I was milking this morning, it occurred to me that I had left several things out of my previous milking post. I thought I would put them here. These are the things that become automatic and thus invisible, like trying to give directions to someone after you’ve lived somewhere so long you’ve [...]
First off, I’m not documenting how to do that whole squeeze and roll thing you do when you hand milk a goat. There are two reasons.
(1) Fancy kicks! OMG! She gets annoyed, she demands more sunflower seeds, she says quit it already, and she says it all with her hoof. You have no idea [...]
Making cheese is always about separating the curd from the whey. –The Cheese Nun
Chevre is a white, creamy cheese made from goat milk. It can be sharp, perfect with herbs on a cracker, or it can be mild, with less salt, like a bright cream cheese, or a dessert cheese. The steps are extremely [...]
Queso blanco is that white, sweet, slightly rubbery cheese you get in real Mexican food. It’s also those white lumps in some Indian dishes, only then it’s called Panir. It’s really, really good when it is fresh. And, it turns out, it is incredibly easy to make. Hey, if Sophie and I can do it, [...]
Goat milk, fresh from the teat (at least Fancy’s milk), tastes amazing: sweet, mild, and creamy. There is no hint of ‘goatiness’ as there is in the stuff you get at the store. And if you drink it within minutes of milking it, it’s still warm.
Which is kind of weird. When milk, eggs, chicken [...]
Buy my books!
Children of the Fallen, now available on Amazon.
The haunted and talented children of the glorious and terrifying...
Toby Streams the Universe at amazon.
A psychic in the big city, trying to stay sane....
The Violin Maker's Wife at amazon.
Enchanted violins can be deadly....
A girl, her vampire, his demon...
You can also listen to the Conjuring Raine free podcast. Enjoy!
coming next: The Lucidity EffectLucidity is now with the editor, woo hoo!
today's yoga practice
May 12, 2013 | 1:39 pm
Full primary. I forgot to write practices down last week, oh well.
May 4, 2013 | 2:51 pm
Feeling sick. Surys. A few seated. Backbending. Bleh.
May 4, 2013 | 2:50 pm
Primary to supta konasana.
May 4, 2013 | 2:50 pm
Gah. Skip. Lame.
May 4, 2013 | 2:49 pm
- Archive for today's yoga practice »
upcoming book releases
a few greatest hits
- remains of the play
- screen time for fun and profit
- bikini power vs. the ratty sweater
- writing without pencil sharpening
- recycling other people's junk
- triple chocolate pudding goop, or, this way lies madness
- the solstice from inside a sundial
- go, go, godzilla!
- the incredible hulk invades the yurt
- welcome to mayaland's virtual macabre crawfish feast of death!
- happy birthday, sophie!
- lucille ball moment
- flying kids
- living the tie-dyed life
- the emotional insanity of writing
- bad things come in threes. or fours. (or maybe fives?)
- how to build a yurt (1 of 10)
- the 13 year visitation of the demon red-eyed cicada
- the TOOL shed
- the source of my power
- "Dusi's Wings" April, 2003. . . . "One thing fantasy can do for us is to give shape to the mysterious in the world; another is to make emotional yearning concrete. The early sections of "Dusi's Wings" do just that...there was a strong grasping towards the spiritual in fantasy here that was very promising, and I look forward to reading more by Lassiter." --review, Tangent Online.
tagsadventures alternative building art author interviews on creative process backbends Bees birthday book covers cats chickens Conjuring Raine creative process family featured funny kid moments geeklife goat milk goats guitar halloween Henry injury ipod Luc manga movies Noah house play podcast podiobooks radical unschooling recipes recycled building supplies seasons Sophie swimming television tie-dye tiny houses toys Unschooling video games yoga yurt raising yurts