On Sunday, a gal who last year bought one of our goat babies, took our whole herd of four goatie girls home to her farm an hour southwest of here. We helped load the girls into the truck, waved goodbye, and then Sophie and I went inside and curled up on the sofa and cried. [...]
What the heck is going on with the moths around here? A week ago it was cicadas. Now we have luna moths. I’m serious! Everywhere we look we see beautiful luna moths, winging their way through the forest, day or night, high or low. Look at this one I managed to photograph before it flew [...]
Fancy, our currently lactating goat, still, still, nurses Sally, her daughter. Sally is over a year old and is bigger than Fancy, but she still gets down on her knees to get to the Golden Udder of Mama-Goat Goodness, several times a day. Fancy is about the sweetest goat ever. I’m starting to think she [...]
Every thirteen years the red-eyed cicadas come out of their holes in the ground in a sex frenzy and they don’t care who knows it.
This one has recently come out of that skin thingy hanging there beside it. Aren’t they spooky looking? With those beady, staring, red eyes? Flying through [...]
Eggs come in all sizes. Long-time readers may recall that we keep chickens, sweet chickens who like to be picked up and petted, and who lay eggs of all colors, no kidding. We also have a friend who keeps emus. Crazy big birds who lay giant, teal colored eggs, one will make whole [...]
I’m considering selling the goats. I know, I know, it’s a tragedy. I love my goats! I adore the fresh milk, and, oddly, I enjoy the work of going out to the barn and feeding them, milking them, taking care of them… They are so sweet and fun, if stubborn and absurd, but still, I [...]
After a year+ of a building break, we are starting out next project: the bedroom. At least, that’s what we call it. There’s the yurt, the bathhouse, the Noah House, the tool shed, and soon, this new structure, built on the backside of the yurt, to house our king sized bed and some much needed [...]
Wait, come back here, you—
There he is! Our fuzzy doodlebug, Henry! Yes, we finally named him. Although Paul is not on board with ‘Henry,’ the kids voted and I decided I was sick of not being able to call him, and as my Mom pointed out, [...]
Buy my books!
Children of the Fallen, now available on Amazon.
The haunted and talented children of the glorious and terrifying...
Toby Streams the Universe at amazon.
A psychic in the big city, trying to stay sane....
The Violin Maker's Wife at amazon.
Enchanted violins can be deadly....
A girl, her vampire, his demon...
You can also listen to the Conjuring Raine free podcast. Enjoy!
coming next: The Lucidity EffectLucidity is now with the editor, woo hoo!
today's yoga practice
upcoming book releases
a few greatest hits
- the incredible hulk invades the yurt
- screen time for fun and profit
- cool felt picture fun for kiddos
- bikini power vs. the ratty sweater
- diggers watch tv, too
- recycling other people's junk
- 2 stories, 1 joke, and a song
- the solstice from inside a sundial
- go, go, godzilla!
- flying kids
- welcome to mayaland's virtual macabre crawfish feast of death!
- living the tie-dyed life
- the source of my power
- unexpected benefit of living in a round house #27
- the power of mom’s day can melt even the most bitter of hearts, not that my heart is bitter, but it has gotten a bit crusty around the edges
- writing without pencil sharpening
- happy birthday, sophie!
- the way of the bento
- remains of the play
- crafts for karma
- "Dusi's Wings" April, 2003. . . . "One thing fantasy can do for us is to give shape to the mysterious in the world; another is to make emotional yearning concrete. The early sections of "Dusi's Wings" do just that...there was a strong grasping towards the spiritual in fantasy here that was very promising, and I look forward to reading more by Lassiter." --review, Tangent Online.
tagsadventures alternative building art author interviews on creative process backbends Bees birthday book covers cats chickens Conjuring Raine creative process family featured funny kid moments geeklife goat milk goats guitar halloween Henry injury ipod Luc manga movies Noah house play podcast podiobooks radical unschooling recipes recycled building supplies seasons Sophie swimming television tie-dye tiny houses toys Unschooling video games yoga yurt raising yurts
- maya on ashtanga injuries: toe edition. (In a word, gross. Don’t even read this post. Seriously.)
- Frances@Lila on ashtanga injuries: toe edition. (In a word, gross. Don’t even read this post. Seriously.)
- grimmly on ashtanga injuries: toe edition. (In a word, gross. Don’t even read this post. Seriously.)
- Shannon on strawberry fest 2013!
- maya on strawberry fest 2013!