I just got the last editor letter back on the angel book and am deep in edits. The plan is to finish this, as in done done DONE, by the end of May and send it off to the copy editor by June 1. I’m so excited for this book to finally see the light of day! It kind of contains my entire professional writing history in one 350 page package, starting with the first short story I ever published (see the sidebar over there, its posted to the wall like a cafe’s first dollar earned) the guts of which is in this book.
That story was written in twenty-four hours for Orson Scott Card’s Writer’s Bootcamp in 2001. 2001!!! Two Thousand and freaking ONE. A decade gone in the blink of an eye! I will never, ever forget Scott reading the first paragraph out loud, putting the paper down and saying, “You can’t teach writing like this.” I burst into tears.
That first paragraph, that story, became the seed of this novel. From that seed, I wrote the bulk of the material while in my second year of grad school, getting my MFA in writing from the Vermont College of Fine Arts. That manuscript got me my (then) agent who said she loved it, that it had made her cry, and that, even though it was different, she was sure we could find an editor to take it on.
Fast forward a couple of years and nope, turns out no one wanted it. Into the trunk it went. Sob!
Anyway, a couple years passed, a couple more novels written, a couple of babies born, but I still couldn’t stop thinking about my fallen angels. So I pulled out the manuscript and did a deep edit, a structural overhaul on the thing, giving it over a 100 pages of new material and generally bringing it up to the state of my current writing ability. That must have been 2007 or so. Still no sales joy. Back in the drawer.
I wrote Conjuring Raine, then Toby Streams the Universe, published them, and have been thrilled with the response. And still my angel book, at various times called “Falling”, “The Fallen”, “You Who Are Made of Light”, and “Made of Light Made of Dark”, whispered at me. So I pulled it out again last year, reworked the whole thing again.
So you see, this book really does have my whole writer-story up-to-now inside it: my first publication, OSC’s Bootcamp, grad school, getting an agent, the emotional grind of being on submission for over a year with no sales, leaving my agent, and now Waking Dreams Press which feels like rebirth. It’s time! It’s time for this book to be born! Hallelujah! Now called When Light Falls, I want so much to get it really there, all on the page the way it is in my head. I hope, I hope, I hope I can do that.
I’m working hard on getting that last 10% as solid as I can, and, as I said, the plan is to do this in May. Yikes! What am I doing writing a blog post? I should be working on the book!!! I get SO NERVOUS when I’m about to release a new one. Like, awake at night, manic/depressive, can’t eat/eat too much, crazy nervous. And this one has been a long time coming. Eleven years worth of nerves! My poor family!
I’ll leave all you lovely readers with the gorgeous cover art made for me by Ida Larsen. I’ll do another post on the making of the cover in a bit, and of course, this version (the text, fonts, placements, etc) is subject to change right up until the day I hit publish, haha. But the art is set, the art is GORGEOUS, I’m so happy with how it turned out.
Oooo! Ahhhh! So pretty!
Newsletter of Awesomeness
Buy my books!
Creature of Dreams, now available on Amazon.
Children of the Fallen, now available on Amazon.
The haunted and talented children of the glorious and terrifying...
Toby Streams the Universe at amazon.
A psychic in the big city, trying to stay sane....
The Violin Maker's Wife at amazon.
Enchanted violins can be deadly....
A girl, her vampire, his demon...
You can also listen to the Conjuring Raine free podcast. Enjoy!
coming next: the restaurant bookIt's out to the beta readers. I'm chewing my fingernails....
a few greatest hits
- the emotional insanity of writing
- bikini power vs. the ratty sweater
- remains of the play
- spike and buffy got screwed--now with proof! (part 1)
- bad things come in threes. or fours. (or maybe fives?)
- 2 stories, 1 joke, and a song
- the source of my power
- the power of mom’s day can melt even the most bitter of hearts, not that my heart is bitter, but it has gotten a bit crusty around the edges
- writing without pencil sharpening
- the TOOL shed
- lucille ball moment
- cool felt picture fun for kiddos
- the 13 year visitation of the demon red-eyed cicada
- crafts for karma
- yurts: the downside
- living the tie-dyed life
- unexpected benefit of living in a round house #27
- recycling other people's junk
- butterfly house
- going all erin brockovich on your ass
- "Dusi's Wings" April, 2003. . . . "One thing fantasy can do for us is to give shape to the mysterious in the world; another is to make emotional yearning concrete. The early sections of "Dusi's Wings" do just that...there was a strong grasping towards the spiritual in fantasy here that was very promising, and I look forward to reading more by Lassiter." --review, Tangent Online.
tagsadventures alternative building art author interviews on creative process backbends Bees birthday book covers books cats chickens Conjuring Raine creative process family featured funny kid moments geeklife goat milk goats guitar halloween Henry injury ipod japanese Luc manga movies Noah house play podcast podiobooks radical unschooling recipes recycled building supplies seasons Sophie swimming television tiny houses Unschooling video games yoga yurt raising yurts
- maya on sunglasses, tirimisu, the GALAXY BRA, and how to be a woman
- maya on weekly yoga fist-bump check-in
- Pamela on weekly yoga fist-bump check-in
- Rebecca on sunglasses, tirimisu, the GALAXY BRA, and how to be a woman
- Rebecca on weekly ashtanga check-in, please drop by and chat, and, here, have some tea…