Here’s another sweet picture I found while trying to wade through the 500 photos on my camera’s memory card.
This was taken on the first day of school—we know because there is a school down the road from us and we had seen the line of bumper to bumper cars trying to get in there. Sophie would be starting 1st grade this year if she wasn’t homeschooling—Thank the Angels she’s here with us instead! I can’t imagine sending her away for most of the day. I’m glad we realized we had other options.
Anyway, instead of heading off to the government-run Training and Indoctrination Camp, Sophie lounged in the hammock eating strawberries with Luc and I. At some point in the conversation she asked me where the first letters came from. I thought pictograms, or maybe Cuneiform or Ogam. When it got too hot in the hammock, we went and googled. (It’s Hieroglyphics or Cuneiform, they’re not sure.) Then I found a book on the shelves about the history of Japanese Kanji and they set to work inventing a script based on the pictures therein. Somehow that turned into writing me notes from zombies (“Hav murcee on ur sool!” and “Wee wunt ur branz!”) and lots of giggling.
Much better than classrooms and worksheets. If you ask me.
Yay for choices!
Buy my books!
Children of the Fallen, now available on Amazon.
The haunted and talented children of the glorious and terrifying...
Toby Streams the Universe at amazon.
A psychic in the big city, trying to stay sane....
The Violin Maker's Wife at amazon.
Enchanted violins can be deadly....
A girl, her vampire, his demon...
You can also listen to the Conjuring Raine free podcast. Enjoy!
coming next: The Lucidity EffectLucidity is now with the editor, woo hoo!
today's yoga practice
June 16, 2013 | 10:10 am
Primary to supta konasana. Long stay in baddha and uphavista, then ollapse. i feel so winded today!
June 16, 2013 | 10:09 am
June 16, 2013 | 10:08 am
yin yoga again. lazy yoga.
June 13, 2013 | 2:19 pm
Primary to Janu B and then I ran out of time. Better than nothing, I guess.
June 11, 2013 | 11:09 am
Primary to navasana. Chatted with Luc about his favorite show for the second half, so breathing and focus were zilch. But mama/little boy time is worth it.
- Archive for today's yoga practice »
upcoming book releases
a few greatest hits
- lucille ball moment
- living the tie-dyed life
- spike and buffy got screwed--now with proof! (part 1)
- the emotional insanity of writing
- yurts: the downside
- cool felt picture fun for kiddos
- the power of mom’s day can melt even the most bitter of hearts, not that my heart is bitter, but it has gotten a bit crusty around the edges
- the TOOL shed
- bikini power vs. the ratty sweater
- how to build a yurt (1 of 10)
- bad things come in threes. or fours. (or maybe fives?)
- 2 stories, 1 joke, and a song
- happy birthday, sophie!
- crafts for karma
- flying kids
- butterfly house
- screen time for fun and profit
- the amazing emu
- the yip-yips do not cause childhood obesity
- the incredible hulk invades the yurt
- "Dusi's Wings" April, 2003. . . . "One thing fantasy can do for us is to give shape to the mysterious in the world; another is to make emotional yearning concrete. The early sections of "Dusi's Wings" do just that...there was a strong grasping towards the spiritual in fantasy here that was very promising, and I look forward to reading more by Lassiter." --review, Tangent Online.
tagsadventures alternative building art author interviews on creative process backbends Bees birthday book covers cats chickens Conjuring Raine creative process family featured funny kid moments geeklife goat milk goats guitar halloween Henry injury ipod japanese Luc manga movies Noah house play podcast podiobooks radical unschooling recipes recycled building supplies seasons Sophie swimming television tie-dye tiny houses Unschooling video games yoga yurt raising yurts