We went to the most amazing place yesterday! The butterfly house at a nearby museum. Feast your eyes on this:
This gorgeous creature had just hatched out of the cocoon it is clinging to. It is still inside a glass wall full of strings that have hatching cocoons attached to them. A butterfly nursery, I guess. You can stand there and watch new butterflies emerge, if you are patient enough and don’t have two little kids with you. Here you can see the strings:
This one just blows my mind:
The diva of moths and butterflies is a freaking genius.
Twice a day they open the glass and the newly hatched butterflies fly out into this:
We went really early–no one else was there, which was perfect for us because the kids could run around jumping and shrieking in butterfly-sighting happiness, without troubling anyone.
Here are some of the lovelies we saw:
Isn’t that amazing???? These are just the butterflies I could get shots of–they’re all flying around your head and doing their butterfly thing and they really aren’t interested in posing. I’m sure I looked funny trying to track them with the camera. Such beauty, concentrated in such a small package!
Maybe there is a god.
Buy my books!
Children of the Fallen, now available on Amazon.
The haunted and talented children of the glorious and terrifying...
Toby Streams the Universe at amazon.
A psychic in the big city, trying to stay sane....
The Violin Maker's Wife at amazon.
Enchanted violins can be deadly....
A girl, her vampire, his demon...
You can also listen to the Conjuring Raine free podcast. Enjoy!
coming next: The Lucidity EffectLucidity is now with the editor, woo hoo!
today's yoga practice
June 16, 2013 | 10:10 am
Primary to supta konasana. Long stay in baddha and uphavista, then ollapse. i feel so winded today!
June 16, 2013 | 10:09 am
June 16, 2013 | 10:08 am
yin yoga again. lazy yoga.
June 13, 2013 | 2:19 pm
Primary to Janu B and then I ran out of time. Better than nothing, I guess.
June 11, 2013 | 11:09 am
Primary to navasana. Chatted with Luc about his favorite show for the second half, so breathing and focus were zilch. But mama/little boy time is worth it.
- Archive for today's yoga practice »
upcoming book releases
a few greatest hits
- triple chocolate pudding goop, or, this way lies madness
- butterfly house
- the way of the bento
- crafts for karma
- remains of the play
- living the tie-dyed life
- spike and buffy got screwed--now with proof! (part 1)
- the source of my power
- bad things come in threes. or fours. (or maybe fives?)
- happy birthday, sophie!
- screen time for fun and profit
- 2 stories, 1 joke, and a song
- diggers watch tv, too
- cool felt picture fun for kiddos
- going all erin brockovich on your ass
- go, go, godzilla!
- the amazing emu
- flying kids
- the power of mom’s day can melt even the most bitter of hearts, not that my heart is bitter, but it has gotten a bit crusty around the edges
- welcome to mayaland's virtual macabre crawfish feast of death!
- "Dusi's Wings" April, 2003. . . . "One thing fantasy can do for us is to give shape to the mysterious in the world; another is to make emotional yearning concrete. The early sections of "Dusi's Wings" do just that...there was a strong grasping towards the spiritual in fantasy here that was very promising, and I look forward to reading more by Lassiter." --review, Tangent Online.
tagsadventures alternative building art author interviews on creative process backbends Bees birthday book covers cats chickens Conjuring Raine creative process family featured funny kid moments geeklife goat milk goats guitar halloween Henry injury ipod japanese Luc manga movies Noah house play podcast podiobooks radical unschooling recipes recycled building supplies seasons Sophie swimming television tie-dye tiny houses Unschooling video games yoga yurt raising yurts