We have four Ameraucana chickens, named (by my daughter) Goldie, Whitey, Coco, and Floppy. Goldie, Whitey, and Cocoa were named for their colors, Floppy for her tendency, as a chick, to flop around. Naming is so easy when you are four years old. However, my husband declared that Whitey’s full name is Whitey on the Moon. I think he is right.
Here is Whitey.
And here are all Goldie and Floppy, next to Whitey on a log. I couldn’t find Cocoa. She likes to keep to herself.
The girls give us 3 or 4 eggs a day, and, I kid you not, they lay pastel colored eggs. This shot was taken fresh from the hen house.
Since we let the chickens wander around most days, they sometimes make themselves secret nests, which we find, days later, full of hoarded, beautiful eggs, treasure in the leaves, or under the house, or in a sand bucket. It’s like an easter egg hunt, all year round.
And the eggs are delicious.
Buy my books!
Children of the Fallen, now available on Amazon.
The haunted and talented children of the glorious and terrifying...
Toby Streams the Universe at amazon.
A psychic in the big city, trying to stay sane....
The Violin Maker's Wife at amazon.
Enchanted violins can be deadly....
A girl, her vampire, his demon...
You can also listen to the Conjuring Raine free podcast. Enjoy!
coming next: The Lucidity EffectLucidity is now with the editor, woo hoo!
today's yoga practice
upcoming book releases
a few greatest hits
- going all erin brockovich on your ass
- 2 stories, 1 joke, and a song
- the way of the bento
- butterfly house
- the emotional insanity of writing
- cool felt picture fun for kiddos
- bikini power vs. the ratty sweater
- the power of mom’s day can melt even the most bitter of hearts, not that my heart is bitter, but it has gotten a bit crusty around the edges
- recycling other people's junk
- spike and buffy got screwed--now with proof! (part 1)
- writing without pencil sharpening
- diggers watch tv, too
- lucille ball moment
- the 13 year visitation of the demon red-eyed cicada
- the incredible hulk invades the yurt
- go, go, godzilla!
- the yip-yips do not cause childhood obesity
- triple chocolate pudding goop, or, this way lies madness
- the source of my power
- bad things come in threes. or fours. (or maybe fives?)
- "Dusi's Wings" April, 2003. . . . "One thing fantasy can do for us is to give shape to the mysterious in the world; another is to make emotional yearning concrete. The early sections of "Dusi's Wings" do just that...there was a strong grasping towards the spiritual in fantasy here that was very promising, and I look forward to reading more by Lassiter." --review, Tangent Online.
tagsadventures alternative building art author interviews on creative process backbends Bees birthday book covers cats chickens Conjuring Raine creative process family featured funny kid moments geeklife goat milk goats guitar halloween Henry injury ipod Luc manga movies Noah house play podcast podiobooks radical unschooling recipes recycled building supplies seasons Sophie swimming television tie-dye tiny houses toys Unschooling video games yoga yurt raising yurts
- maya on ashtanga injuries: toe edition. (In a word, gross. Don’t even read this post. Seriously.)
- Frances@Lila on ashtanga injuries: toe edition. (In a word, gross. Don’t even read this post. Seriously.)
- grimmly on ashtanga injuries: toe edition. (In a word, gross. Don’t even read this post. Seriously.)
- Shannon on strawberry fest 2013!
- maya on strawberry fest 2013!